Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 60, June 15 - Two Passes, One Day

Woods Creek Mile 802.6 to Lake Palisade Mile 819

Today didn't start very well but got better and ended just fine. I stupidly took all of my vitamins and pain killers on an empty stomach and then got super nauseous and tried to eat to settle my stomach. That didn't work, and I wound up running out of the tent to throw up the blueberry NutriGrain bar I'd just started eating - needless to say, I'll be taking a break from those for quite a while. I had a little bit of a meltdown when Brett started taking down the tent before I was ready to go. Oh well - rough mornings happen.

Our plan was to complete two big passes in one day so starting the day by throwing up wasn't a good start. However, we reached the top of Pinchot Pass by 11:30! We bumped into Grady (Fun Size) who had organized a group printing rate for the maps we've used on the trail, and we haven't seen since before Paradise Cafe at mile 150. We also met a few new friends who just started the trail from Kennedy Meadows, Tom and Annette from Montana (I think Montana...?)  We cruised a few more miles and then had a leisurely lunch and did a little laundry by the river. Life felt relaxed, and it was good. 

We kept pushing on to Mather Pass, and if I do say so myself, I kicked butt to the top of it! I passed a handful of people on the way up, and I do believe sweet Brett held back a little and let me think I actually beat him up there as well (impossible, I know!) I felt good, and strong. I'm usually the turtle of the younger thru-hikers, (which I partially attribute to my short legs), so it felt good to be the first one somewhere. That never happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment