Thursday, April 11, 2013

Last Week at Home

I took a few months off work before starting the PCT to ensure that by the time April rolled around, I'd be completely ready to go. How silly...I'll be on the trail in less than a week and I am suddenly feeling totally unprepared.

All of the major prep work is done. If I was dropped off in Campo right now with my pack, I think I'd make it just fine. I have to keep reminding myself that although all of the planning and prep work is important, at the end of the day, the trip is going to take on a life of its own as soon as I hit the trail. I think I'm pretty much equipped to do so at this point. I know I shouldn't stress too much, but that's much easier said than done! In the meantime, I spend my days organizing food boxes, resupplies, extra gear for different points in the trip, and mountains of maps. The living room is a disaster (shout out to Scott and Rita for putting up with the copious amounts of PCT related items cluttering the living room!)
food, and resupply boxes, and gear, and clothes, oh my...

I haven't had a full night's sleep in probably close to a month...I may be going delirious at this point. I wake up constantly throughout the night from one or another ridiculous PCT related nightmare, and I find myself questioning whether a conversation with a friend actually happened or if it was just in a dream. Funny enough, I think I'll sleep much better once I'm on the trail and sleeping on the ground every night.

All of this stress and worry just boils down to the fact that I'm anxious. I'm ready to make this dream a reality! It hasn't hit me yet that I'll spend the next five months of my life working every day towards one of the biggest goals I've ever had. I just can't wait to get out there and start walking. But for now...back to work!

4 comments:

  1. Great determination, Erin! Can't wait to hear all the stories. One day, I want to do the Santiago trail in Northern Spain but MX to CA trail is a crazy one. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! can't wait to follow your incredible journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Can't wait to find some time to start following your blog too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Aras! Hope things are going well at home and wedding planning isn't stressing you guys out too much :) If I finish the PCT, I think the Santiago trail would be awesome also!

    ReplyDelete